It’s Bandung, Everyone…

Bandung Bandung is the capital of West Java province, and the country’s third largest city, and 2nd largest metropolitan in Indonesia. The Dutch colonials first opened tea plantations around the mountains in the eighteenth century, followed by a road construction connecting the plantation area to the capital (180 km or 112 miles to the northwest). The European inhabitants of the city demanded the establishment of a municipality (gemeente), which was granted in 1906 and Bandung gradually developed itself into a resort city for the plantation owners. Luxurious hotels, restaurants, cafes…

The Wonderful Biak

Biak Biak is a small island located in Cenderawasih Bay near the northern coast of Papua, and it is just northwest of New Guinea. Biak is the largest island in its small archipelago, and has many atolls, reefs, and corals. During past time, Biak Island, was part of the Tidore Sultanate’s territory which was divided it into nine districts (uli Siwa). During World War II, Japanese strategic airstrips Imperial Army were there, as a base commander in the Pacific War. The United States Army then controlled the island. On May…

Manokwari

Manokwari Manokwari is a city and capital city of West Papua province. Manokwari is located on the north coast of the Bird’s Head area of Papua Island. This city is one of the historic city for the Christian community in Papua because on February 5, 1855, two evangelist men landed on the Mansinam island and began the work of Protestant Christianity to spread among the tribes who still fight each other. To respect both the evangelist, a large cross monument was built there. Moreover, Dorey is the bay area diving…

The Exotique Jayapura

Jayapura Jayapura is the capital and largest city in Papua, Indonesia. The city has also been known in the past as Hollandia (1910-1962), Kota Baru 1962-1963) and even Sukarnopura (1963-1968). The northtern part of Dutch New Guinea was occupied by Japanese forces in 1942. Allied forces drove out the Japanese after amphibious landings near Hollandia, from April 21, 1944. The area served as General Douglas MacArthur’s headquarters until the conquest of the Philippines in March 1945. Over twenty U.S. bases were established and half a million US personnel moved through…